31 December 2013

Reflections on #cine365

In a short while, I'll be posting my 365th and final (for this blog) film in a language other than English.

I have loved doing this - watching films is a passion, and given my background as a language graduate and subsequently teacher, films in other languages hold an additional fascination.

I can't say every one of the films I've mentioned has been a classic, and I certainly didn't enjoy them all, but that's not to say they didn't merit a mention. I've received a number of tweets during the year in which the film I've posted has brought back lovely memories for people. I also hope that some of you may have been encouraged to seek out some of the films.

The project has compelled me to watch a number of films which I felt I 'ought' to have seen. As a result I find myself currently underwhelmed by French nouvelle vague (for shame, Marie!) but with an appreciation of the films of Akira Kurosawa, a director whose oeuvre had passed me by until now.

I adored Hiroshima, Mon Amour, discovered the post-war melodrama of Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu, and forced myself to watch the original Korean version of Oldboy which, having avoided it for 10 years, I found I loved.

For all my teacher friends, I know not all are suitable for classroom use, but I hope you might get some inspiration next time you're searching for a film to plug a cultural gap - you can search by language, country and certification.

Thanks to all who stopped by during the year - Happy 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment